The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office serves 1.2 million residents across Hennepin County, which includes the county seat in Minneapolis. Sheriff's Office headquarters are in downtown Minneapolis with divisions and unit facilities located throughout the county. Watch this video to learn more about the Sheriff's Office.
Most of the Sheriff's Office duties - from managing the county jail and securing the district court - are mandated by state law. Other initiatives, from undercover narcotics investigations to homeland security activities, are initiatives the Sheriff's Office engages in "to keep and preserve the peace of the county," the office's broader mandate.
The Sheriff's Office works in partnership with other law enforcement agencies, businesses, community groups, and non-profits. Among the organizations that support the work of the Sheriff's Office is the Hennepin County Sheriff Foundation. It is an independent, nonprofit, charitable organization dedicated to supporting youth-based activity programs and 21st century crime-fighting initiatives. Click here to learn more.
Working together with approximately 800 employees: the Sheriff, Chief Deputy, Majors, deputies and civilians, have adopted a Strategic Plan and the following Strategic Focus Priorities:
1. Re-invest our resources to fight the recent rise in violent crime; focus on the lethal combination of guns, gangs, kids and drugs. Engage and educate residents and community leaders about threats to public safety.
2. Strive to reduce drug abuse, focusing especially on prescription drugs and heroin, through enforcement efforts, medicine disposal efforts, educational initiatives, and collaboration with our law enforcement partners.
3. Provide leadership in improving services and processes for mentally ill inmates in the criminal justice system, and system-wide initiatives and reforms that help reduce recidivism.
4. Modernize our mission to embrace the "guardian role" and models for 21st Century Policing; leverage COPS Grant funding for our initiatives.
5. Recruit, hire and train a highly skilled, diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve, addresses retention challenges, and support our volunteers.
6. Build communities of trust and focus on resident participation:
- Strengthen partnerships with diverse communities and civic organizations through outreach by our Sheriff and Community Engagement Team
- Enhance collaboration with our Community Advisory Board and Resident Councils
- Expand partnerships with Hennepin County elderly residents and strengthen our partnerships with youth outreach organizations
7. Provide leadership for the Minnesota Sheriffs' Association with Sheriff Stanek serving as its president. We are hosting the 2016 National Sheriffs' Association Summer Conference.
8. Increase engagement with residents by building upon innovative uses of social media and unique public safety messaging opportunities.
9. Partner in the Hennepin County 4th Judicial District transition to operations in the new South Suburban Court.
10. Provide law enforcement services in a cost-effective manner and further innovate operations by leveraging strategic partnerships, resources and technology.
The Sheriff's Office provides comprehensive public safety services across the county. The following are just a few of the services provided by the Sheriff's Office: