On May 24, 2005, Governor Tim Pawlenty signed legislation into law reinstating the 2003 Minnesota Personal Protection Act. Therefore, effective immediately, all Hennepin County residents who want to apply for a permit to carry a handgun must do so through the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office.
Gun Permit Applications (Permits to Carry for Hennepin County residents and out of state applicants. Permit to Purchase for residents of the cities of Greenfield, Hanover, Medicine Lake and Rockford.)
Applications are accepted from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except for government holidays) at the main Gun Permit Unit Office.
The main Gun Permit Unit in downtown Minneapolis is located at:
Minneapolis City Hall (Old Courthouse)
350 South 5th Street, Room 22
Minneapolis, MN 55415
The Gun Permit Unit also operates satellite offices from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. one day per month at each Enforcement Services Division (ESD) site and at the Richfield Police Department. These locations accept permit to carry applications, personal information changes and replacement card requests. Certain permit to purchase applications will also be accepted at the ESD sites.
The ESD Water Patrol Unit is located at:
4141 Shoreline Drive
Spring Park, MN 55384
The ESD Patrol Unit is located at:
9401 83rd Avenue North
Brooklyn Park, MN 55445
The Richfield Police Department is located at:
Richfield City Hall
6700 Portland Ave. S.
Richfield, MN 55423
Satellite office schedule fior 2014:
09/08/2014 – Water Patrol Unit
09/15/14 - Patrol Unit
09/22/14 - Richfield Police Department
10/06/14 - Water Patrol Unit
10/13/2014 - Patrol Unit
10/20/14 - Richfield Police Department
11/03/14 – Water Patrol Unit
11/10/14 - Patrol Unit
11/17/14 - Richfield Police Department
12/01/14 – Water Patrol Unit
12/08/14 - Patrol Unit
12/15/14 - Richfield Police Department
Satellite office schedule fior 2015:
01/05/15 – Water Patrol Unit
01/12/15 - Patrol Unit
01/26/15 - Richfield Police Department
02/02/15 - Water Patrol Unit
02/09/15 - Patrol Unit
02/23/15 - Richfield Police Department
03/02/15 – Water Patrol Unit
03/09/15 - Patrol Unit
03/16/15 - Richfield Police Department
04/06/15 – Water Patrol Unit
04/13/15 - Patrol Unit
04/20/15 - Richfield Police Department
05/04/15 – Water Patrol Unit
05/11/15 - Patrol Unit
05/18/15 - Richfield Police Department
06/01/15 - Water Patrol Unit
06/08/15 - Patrol Unit
06/15/15 - Richfield Police Department
07/06/15 – Water Patrol Unit
07/13/15 - Patrol Unit
07/20/15 - Richfield Police Department
08/03/15 – Water Patrol Unit
08/10/15 - Patrol Unit
08/17/15 - Richfield Police Department
09/14/15 - Water Patrol Unit
09/21/15 - Patrol Unit
09/28/15 - Richfield Police Department
10/05/15 – Water Patrol Unit
10/12/15 - Patrol Unit
10/19/15 - Richfield Police Department
11/02/15 – Water Patrol Unit
11/09/15 - Patrol Unit
11/16/15 - Richfield Police Department
12/07/15 – Water Patrol Unit
12/14/15 - Patrol Unit
12/21/15 - Richfield Police Department
*The main Gun Permit Unit Office in Minneapolis will keep their usual hours on the days applications are also accepted at the ESD sites. Please contact the Gun Permit Unit at 612-348-8008 with any questions.
The process for applying for a new or for renewing an existing Permit to Carry a Pistol in the State of Minnesota in Hennepin County is as follows (MN Statute 624.714):
- The applicant must appear in person and apply in the county in which they reside. Out of state residents can apply at any sheriff’s office.
- The applicant must have taken an authorized firearms training course within one year prior to the application.
- The applicant must present a completed application, signed and dated on the date presented. The application is available for download at: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Documents/Carry%20Application.pdf
- The applicant must present the original certificate of completed authorized firearms training along with a legible copy. Applicant must also present a current, valid driver’s license, state identification card or the photo page of their passport along with a legible copy of whichever is presented. If using a passport, proof of current residency must be provided along with a legible copy. If renewing, the current permit along with a legible copy, must be presented.
- Cash, check or money orders are accepted. No credit cards or debit cards will be accepted. The fee for a new permit to carry is $100.00, a renewal (application submitted up to 90 days before expiration) is $75.00, and a late renewal (application submitted within 30 days of expiration) is $85.00.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office requires the following guidelines for the renewal of a Permit to Carry a Pistol in the State of Minnesota (MN Statute 624.714):
- Any 5 year permit expires at 12:00 A.M. midnight, on the date of expiration shown on the permit.
- The applicant must appear in person and renew in the county in which they reside. Out of state residents can renew at any sheriff’s office.
- When renewing a permit, applicants must present evidence that they have received approved training in the safe use of a pistol within one year prior to the date of the renewal application.
- A permit can be renewed up to 90 days prior to the expiration date of the current permit. The renewal gun permit fee will be $75.00.
- After the expiration date, but within 30 days after the expiration, the permit can still be renewed by paying an additional late fee of $10.00. During this time the old permit is not valid and you will not be able to carry until after you receive your renewal permit.
- 31 days after expiration the old permit can no longer be renewed. An application will have to be submitted for a new permit. The gun permit fee will then be $100.00.
- NOTE: If your current permit were to expire before you receive your new permit, you would not be valid. Expired permits are not valid regardless of whether you have applied for a renewal.
Applicants are reminded that the Sheriff’s Office has 30 days to process and mail a permit or to deny the application.
Information on how to obtain a permit to carry a pistol in the state of Minnesota as well as a list of authorized instructors, frequently asked questions and a copy of MN Statute 624.714 can be downloaded at: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/pages/firearms-permit-to-carry.aspx
Change of Personal Information
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office processes all changes of name or address for all permits issued by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office through the expiration date of the permit.
To update information in person and receive a new card:
The application for information change can be done in person. Applicant must present their current permit and current, valid identification reflecting the new information and fill out page 1 of the application form. The fee for a new updated permit card is $10.00. Applicant will be provided with a temporary permit/receipt.
To update information by mail and receive a new card:
The application for information change may also be completed by mail. Applicant must complete, sign, and mail page 1 of the application along with a copy of their current permit card and a copy of their current, valid identification reflecting the new information. Mail these items along with a check made payable to HCSO in the amount of $10.00 to:
Hennepin County Sheriff's Office Permit to Carry Unit
Minneapolis City Hall
350 South 5th Street, Room 22
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Replacement of Lost/Stolen Permit Cards
In the case of a lost or stolen handgun-carry permit, a duplicate permit may be obtained for a fee of $10.00. The application for a duplicate permit must be presented in person at the Permit to Carry Office.
- ·Contact Us
- ·Most Wanted
- ·Wanted DWIs
- ·Submit a Tip
- ·Data Requests
- ·Contract for Policing
- ·News Releases