Water permits

You must get permits for certain activities including special events, temporary structures and boat rental. Charter boats must undergo inspection before they can carry passengers.

Expand all information

Special event permit forms

Permit application and liability release for a special event

Minnesota law requires that a person may not hold or sponsor any scheduled or public race, regatta, tournament or other competition or exhibition, or trial race on water or ice, whether or not involving watercraft, without first having obtained a written permit from the sheriff of the county where the event is to originate.

You must submit the permit application and liability release at least 30 days before your event.

Print and complete the application and return the original to:

Hennepin County Sheriff's Office
Water patrol unit
4141 Shoreline Dr
Spring Park, MN 55384

Special event permit application (PDF)

Special event permit liability release (PDF)

Regulations for a special event

Specific regulations apply for creating and maintaining a temporary structure.

Read more about special event permit regulations (PDF)

Temporary structure permit forms

Permit application for a temporary structure

You must fill out a separate application for each temporary structure you request.

Print, complete and return the permit application to:

Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office
Water patrol unit
4141 Shoreline Dr
Spring Park, MN 55384

Temporary structure permit application (PDF)

Regulations for each type of temporary structure

Specific regulations apply for each temporary structure.

Mooring buoy regulations (PDF)

Ski jump ramp regulations (PDF)

Skating rink regulations (PDF)

Water ski slalom course regulations (PDF)

Swim area regulations (PDF)

Swim raft regulations (PDF)

Collapse all information