Commanded by Major Rick Palaia
This bureau investigates violent crime, illegal drug cases, sex trafficking, and other crime.
Information sharing and collaboration assists in prevention and suppression of criminal activity. We support criminal intelligence and crime analysis.
Some of the things we do are:
- Analyze information to identify crime patterns
- Forecast criminal trends
- Generate investigative leads
- Assist with identification and apprehension of suspects
- Share threats to our communities or officer safety
- Enhance collaboration
- Improve law enforcement partnerships
- Provide oversight of many functions and services
Forensic Science Laboratory
We provide forensic services to more than 35 law enforcement agencies, Minnesota State Patrol, and other state and federal law enforcement agencies.
Our areas of expertise include biology, crime scenes, evidence, firearms, and fingerprints.
The forensic science lab is internationally accredited. It has the following areas:
- DNA Section
- Firearm Section
- Latent Print Section
- Crime Scene Unit
Major Crimes Division
This division conducts hundreds of investigations into criminal activity annually. Through its various units, the Major Crimes Division conducts focused investigations on the most violent offenders, works collaboratively with other agencies for narcotics investigations, and much more.
Major Crimes Division Units
- Detectives Unit
- Gun Permit Unit
- County Attorney Unit
- Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF)
- West Metro Drug Task Force (WMDTF)
- Southwest Hennepin Drug Task Force (SWHDTF)
Criminal Intelligence Division (CID)
This division assists in the prevention and suppression of criminal activity. We provide timely and accurate analysis of criminal information to area law enforcement.
The division analyzes information to identify crime patterns and forecast criminal trends. The analysis generates investigative leads. These leads assist with identification and apprehension of suspects. Analysis also helps us provide information on threats to our communities or to officer safety.
Our division enhances collaboration and improves law enforcement partnerships. We provide oversight of functions and services and protect civil rights, civil liberties, and privacy interests.
Criminal Intelligence Division Units
- Criminal Information Sharing and Analysis (CISA) Unit
- Metro Regional Information Collaboration (MRIC) Task Force
- High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas Investigative Support Center (HIDTA ISC)
- Homeland Security
- FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF)
- Threat Assessment Unit
- Shield Program