Water patrol services
Water patrol has multiple responsibilities on over 100 lakes and rivers in the county:
- Search and rescue
- Buoying and marking
- Removing hazards to water navigation
- Patrolling the county’s lakes and rivers during boating season and in winter
- Educating the public about water and ice safety
- Investigating watercraft and water-related accidents and drownings
- Inspecting watercraft for rent, lease and hire
See announcements on wake restrictions, ice conditions, contaminations, or other water-related news on Facebook or Twitter.
To report unsafe boating activity
Urgent complaints: call 911.
Non-urgent complaints: call water patrol at 612-596-9880.
To report boat or equipment theft
Call 911 or water patrol at 612-596-9880.
Boat launch and parking near water patrol headquarters
The public boat launch shares the same parking lot as the water patrol office in Spring Park. There are 7 parking spots.
Overflow parking is at the Hennepin County public works building. Drive east on Shoreline Drive and take a left onto Del Otero Road.
Water level advisories
To find out if any lake is under a high or low water advisory, contact the city that the lake is in.
For Lake Minnetonka, contact the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District.
Ice out happens when a lake is completely free of ice. It’s the unofficial start of boating season.
What to do if your boat is stuck or stalled
We encourage you to contact the nearest marina or boat towing company.
Public boat launches on Lake Minnetonka
- Carson’s Bay boat ramp – Minnetonka
- Gray’s Bay public landing – Minnetonka
- Halstead Bay boat launch – Minnetrista
- Howard’s Point Marina – Excelsior
- Lake Minnetonka Regional Park – Minnetrista
- Maxwell Bay launch – Wayzata
- North Arm Launch – Mound
- Rockvam Boat Yards – Spring Park (fee)
- Spring Park boat ramp
- Surfside boat ramp – Mound
- Tuxedo Road – Phelps Island
- Wayzata Bay public boat ramp
Know your buoys
Channel is between green and red markers
Do not pass between buoy and shore
Mid-channel pass close on either side
Diver below stay 150 feet away
Milfoil area boats keep out
Boats keep out
Water Patrol Unit
Water Patrol Headquarters
4141 Shoreline Drive
Spring Park, MN 55384