Permit to carry a handgun
IMPORTANT NOTICESGun Permits for individuals aged 18 - 20
The federal court has stayed the ruling to issue gun permits to individuals aged 18 - 20. Therefore, per the federal court, HCSO will not issue a permit to carry to those under 21 at this time.
Minimum requirements for all applicants
- At least 21 years old
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Allowed by law to keep firearms
Requirements for where to apply
The office you apply at depends on where you live:
- Hennepin County residents apply for a permit through the sheriff’s office.
- Other Minnesota residents apply in the county where they live.
- Out-of-state residents can apply at any sheriff’s office in Minnesota.
Gun Permits Office