Permit to purchase a firearm
Greenfield, Hanover, Medicine Lake and Rockford residents
Apply for a permit to purchase through the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office.
We are required to do a background check. We are also required to either issue the permit or provide a denial letter within 7 days from the date we receive the application.
Permit to purchases are valid for 1 year and there is no fee.
- Be at least 21
- Be a U.S. citizen or have legal alien status
- Cannot be a fugitive or have any warrant including for petty misdemeanors
- Cannot be listed as the respondent in a restraining order
- Not be excluded from purchasing a firearm under any criteria listed in Minnesota law (statute 624.714)
- Fill in, sign and date the application with the date you present it at our office.
- Giving false information on an application could result in criminal charges.
- Present a valid and current Minnesota driver’s license or ID card with your current address. You may also use a passport with proof of residency.
After you fill out the application
You can drop it off at any of our locations during normal hours.
You don’t need an appointment to drop of the application.
But if you like, you can schedule an appointment at any of our locations:
- Minneapolis appointment scheduler
- Brooklyn Park appointment scheduler
- Spring Park (Tuesdays only) appointment scheduler
We will give you a receipt at the time you apply.
- Apply in person at the City of Minneapolis Service Center, 505 4th Ave. You may also apply by mail.
- No fee
- Permit valid one year
- City of Minneapolis gun permit office
Other county residents
Apply for a permit to purchase it at your local police department.Return to this topic