Return to this topic

Permit for special events

You must get a sheriff’s permit for any event on public water or ice. Your event must have a permit whether it involves watercraft or not. Permits help ensure public safety.

Types of special events requiring a permit:

  • Races
  • Regattas
  • Tournaments
  • Competitions
  • Exhibitions

You must have a sheriff’s permit regardless of:

  • Age or number of people involved
  • Entry fee or prizes
  • Sponsorship
  • The need for other required permits

Application process

Step 1

Read the instructions for special event permits. Instructions - special events (PDF) View 

Step 2

Apply for your permit at least 30 days before your event. Include the application, liability release, and your certificate of insurance.

Step 3

Submit your application, notarized liability release, certificate of insurance, city permit, and event map.

By email:
Scan all pages and email to

By U.S. mail:
Hennepin County Sheriff's Office
Water patrol unit
4141 Shoreline Drive
Spring Park, MN 55384

Step 4

Check the status of your permit by emailing

Return to this topic